Welcome to my blog!

May friendship, encouragement and grace abound!

To read my adoption blogs check out: katelynsfund blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Good Shepherd Knows His Sheep

I've kept sheep for a time, but it's goats that have taken up residence in the barn and pasture for years now. I am the main caregiver of the goats, a shepherd so to speak. They are dependent upon me. Other people can come up to the barn and next to the pasture. The goats will gladly check out the visitors, but they will remain cautious. If they don't recognize the voice, they won't respond well. Even if they cannot see me, if I call for them, they will come running from the pasture and into the barn. Over time, they have come to trust me and only me. When I am there, no matter what I'm doing, they are quiet and peaceful. My presence brings them comfort.

When the does (the females) have their adorable goat kids (babies) in late winter, they allow me to handle them, check them, take them out of the pen for a short time. If anyone else walks up to their stall, they move in front of their kid(s), stamp the ground and make a lot of noise...they don't want a stranger near their babies. They don't recognize the strange voices.

Goats and sheep like the same voice, the same person caring for them. They come to trust that person and will allow that person to lead them. Once goats are broken to lead, they will allow me to lead them anywhere. Breaking them can be hard work. Some, allow you to lead them quickly. They don't fight back, lay down, or stand in a stubborn stance. The pressure I have to apply to them is light. Others, are extremely difficult. They can drop their head to the ground with their front feet splayed out and you are left with the rear end sticking up and a 100 pound goat that refuses to move. You don't want to choke it and you don't want the goat to know it can get away with this kind of behavior. Over and over again, you pull it up, it is hard on one's back. The goat will have a lot of pressure applied, and there's a great deal of grunting, lifting, tugging and encouragement to follow my lead. I know what each one can stand during this process, I will not ever allow the goat to be harmed - I will however, allow a lot of discomfort until they learn that I am the master. I do everything I can to keep a goat from getting into the habit of refusing to lead. For their own good, they must allow me to master over them. If they understood how much easier it would be for them, if they would simply follow, they would not fight, they would allow the yoke to be light.

Colder weather is coming today and I took every precaution to keep them warm, dry, safe, secure. They don't have to be concerned about their daily care, they are free to enjoy safe pasture. They know their shepherd will meet all their needs, they will have no need to fear. Goats are great watch dogs - they are very aware and alert - they won't rest unless they know all is completely well. It is a great satisfaction to any shepherd to see their animals lying down, chewing their cud, in total peace.

There is much to be learned from a herd of goats. They know their master's voice, they respond only to the master, they are confident when their master cares for them that they can lie down in green pastures, they learn to follow his lead, and when they refuse to follow, pressure will be applied, until the lesson is learned....the way of the Master brings a lighter yoke.

When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a strangers' voice. John 10:4-5

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me-just as the Father knows me and I know the Father...John 10:14

No comments:

Post a Comment