Welcome to my blog!

May friendship, encouragement and grace abound!

To read my adoption blogs check out: katelynsfund blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Right Motives

"The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for him... the one aim of the call of God is the satisfaction of God, not the call to do something for him... We have confused serving people for Christ sake (which is right) with pleasing people for ours (which is wrong). We have replaced the simple and proper call to be faithful with the complex and elusive call to be successful." - Charles Drew

I appreciate the above quote. Oftentimes, I find myself checking my motives as to why I'm doing what I'm doing...am I fulfilling a need, am I longing for a pat on the back, am I only after personal gain and the most important question of all, am I fulfilling a lonely gap with serving rather than simply loving the One I serve?

I used to spend a lot of energy being a people-pleaser. I didn't want to make waves or cause a scene. I still don't really want to draw attention, but I do want to speak truth. I am thankful that because of the grace of God, I am now more interested in what God has to say rather than man. I no longer fear man (or woman) or the rejection of man. My confidence comes not from my own position or accomplishments - on my best day I am still a filthy rag compared to the Glory of God. My confidence comes from knowing TRUTH - God is sovereign, just, omnipotent, omniscient, glorious, wonderful, and holy and certainly worthy of my worship.

Positionally, I sit in no greater place - than that of right where I am - a child, redeemed by a Holy God.

Therefore, I can enjoy knowing Him and not be concerned so much with the who, when and where I am to be serving....out of the overflow of my love for Christ....service will naturally flow forth.

Check your motives - who do YOU fear?




No comments:

Post a Comment