Welcome to my blog!

May friendship, encouragement and grace abound!

To read my adoption blogs check out: katelynsfund blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Perspective from a 92 year old woman

We went to see my husband's cousin a few days ago. Jane lived two houses down from us all of our married life. She was a wonderful influence in my children's lives. Now, she's in an assisted living facility. She weighs about 80 pounds. Every bone in her body is protruding and pronounced. Her hair which she always kept so well groomed and beautiful is mostly gone. Her gaunt face still has the redemption of her sweet smile. She's had a catheter for three years and getting out of bed any more is almost impossible. Although she still wears some of her most favorite jewelry every day, Jane is waiting to die.

Her mind, though, is sharp as a tack!

Jane is so incredibly frail and weak and has the most incredible positive attitude - always has.
Though her body is failing, her gratitude remains, "There are a lot of people worse off than me," she quietly says matter-of-fact. She's right, but a lot of people who are not near as bad off as her, are filled with utter despair. If only they could spend some time with sweet and precious Jane!

We told Jane that we would come again soon and do some music for her - she so enjoys that. We asked her what she'd like to hear and she wanted to hear some hymns. One in particular. Unfortunately, Jane doesn't receive visits from her pastor and hasn't for years. She feels a little forgotten by those she used to serve in the church, but she's confident that God hasn't forgotten her. I asked Jane what her favorite song was and she quickly responded, "Oh, My Tribute!" I couldn't recall the song that went along with the title so she recited the chorus lyrics for me,


To God be the glory,
To God be the glory,
To God be the glory,
For the things He has done.
With His blood He has saved me,
With His power He has raised me,
To God be the glory,
For the things He has done.

I asked Jane if there were any others that were her favorites and she looked squarely at me and responded, "This song says it all, to God be the Glory!" That was that. Jane in her frail and dying body sits positionally in a glorious place - a place where many of us healthy young folks miss....it really is all about God - and He is worthy of the glory and our praises!



No comments:

Post a Comment